Monday, April 30, 2007

WHY I AM RUNNING AS A GREEN IN FORT GARRY...

I am running because we are together living through a crisis but lacking the political will to address it. In a political climate that is more about rhetoric than what's right, more and more voters are becoming disaffected and disassociated from the process. The ecological crisis is profound, but there is also a social erosions taking place. I may not have all the answers but together we can find another way. I think we first need to ask the right questions, in a respectful manner.

We need to trust, to work together, to build networks for creating positive change. This is the role of an MLA and his/her staff, not simply towing the party line and following the 'leader'. A representative should first and foremost represent his constituents.

Elected officials work for YOU. What I want to bring back is awareness of the sacred public trust that we - YOU - as the hiring committee are putting in their hands. I want to empower local community-generated bodies. Decisions need to be made by those most immediately affected by them. Does your MLA truly represent all 8295 electors in the riding? What about the future? We need to ask ourselves how we can redesign our politics to match how the world has changed. And you, and everyone in this riding, is a part of, the big picture. No voices should be left unheard. You are the hiring committee, and I am applying for the job of MLA. Please consider all applicants equally.

Alon Weinberg,
Your Green Party Fort Garry candidate.



3 comments:

Shayn said...

Alon-

Thanks for getting ahold of me on my site. I'll put a link up right away up near the top of my blog. I'm glad that you're running - we need people as educated and passionate as you running for government.

If you wanted, I would be willing to do an interview with you that I could post up at my site.

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Shayn

PITT said...

Work hard and take away some of those NDP votes !!!

Unknown said...

Votes Belong to nobody! And there is no reason why Conservative voters should not vote Green, given the empty spending promises and the lack of a unified vision for the province that the Conservatives are offering...

in a more democratic electoral system, voters could vote FOR good ideas, and there would not be such a thing as "vote splitting" as the issues would not be diluted (as is the case with our two party province), and people could park their vote based on whose response to the issues is most genuine, far reaching, and practical.